- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- Seeds from 10 cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin, seeds or ground
- 100 grams red lentils
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
Put the onion, garlic, carrot and ginger into a saucepan. Drizzle over with oil and cook for a few minutes to soften.
Add the turmeric, cardamom and cumin. Stir well to combine and cook gently for a few minutes more until the spices are aromatic.
Add the lentils to the pan. Pour over the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are soft and swollen but retain a little bite.
Using a hand blender, pulse the soup until some is blended completely, leaving some larger vegetable chunks.
Zest the lemon straight into the pan. Squeeze the juice over the soup and stir through with a pinch of salt, chili and finely chopped herbs.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle over a little more lemon zest, if you like.